Treatment of Xerostomia (Dry Mouth) Salivary Gland Hypo-Function
- Talk to your physician about changing your medication classes that are less anti cholinergic and lead to less fluid retention.
- Increase water intake (if not contradicted by medications and medical condition). Consider sucking on ice chips during the day.
- Avoid dental products with additive – e.g. sodium lauryl sulfate, alcohol mouth rinses
- Use a room humidifier during the day and at night.
- MI Paste (GC America)
- Prevident 5000 Dry Mouth 1.1% Sodium Fluoride (Rx Only)
Salivary Substitute and Oral Lubricant
- Oral Balance Gel
- Oasis Mouthwash and Oral Spray
- Biotene Range (mouth rinse, toothpaste and gum), Lactede, Inc.
- Range of other products such as:
- Moi-Stir (Kingswood Labs)
- Mouth Note (Parrell Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- XeroLube (Colgate)
- Sugar-free gum and sugarless candy several times daily – e.g. – Xylitol gum and candy products, Trident White with Recaldent gum (Cadbury Adams, USA)
- Saliva Sure tablets (Scandinavian formulas, Sellersville, PA)
- Place near major saliva ducts several times daily and suck. Continue fruit acid which is pH buffered.
- Systemic sialogogue therapy with pilocarpine or servimeline: watch for adverse effect